Re: Web page capture util

+ (text/html)
Author: Gordon
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Web page capture util

Josh has released the rendering engine (PagePrint).  As long as you're
using a relatively recent version of firefox or mozilla, it should work
with relatively little hassle.
http://blog.joshuaeichorn.com/archives/2006/08/21/webthumb-rendering-engine-released/

I installed it on my laptop to test out today in about 5 minutes.  The
only extra thing I needed to install was the Xvfb package.  I also need
to get some fonts for the output to look nice, but it works well for
creating pdfs.

der.hans wrote:
Am 28. Aug, 2006 schwätzte so:

Quoting Shawn Badger
<>:

Does anyone know of a CLI app that can
capture a web page to a jpg or

better a pdf? I need to capture a dynamic page on daily basis and
e-mail

the captured image to various people. I have tried using wget, but it

saves some weird results. I suspect that is because the page I am

polling is generated with PHP.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

wget downloads/saves the source text of the page, so if you want a jpg
or pdf, I don't think that will help you.

This app is web-based, not CLI, but it might be worth looking at :
http://bluga.net/webthumb/index.php

Josh is here in town ( one of the people behind AzPHP ), so maybe you
can

convince him to let you use it on your company's intranet.

Also, there are some extensions for Firefox that will run scripts.
Maybe

you could setup Firefox to pull up the page and save it to PDF. A
script

run from cron could then poll for new files to mail out.

PrefBar is the extension I can think of off the top of my head. Not

available from the Firefox website, but still worth looking into.

Is there a command line option to Firefox to save a URL to PDF?

ciao,

der.hans