Re: Mail and attachments

Author: Alex Dean
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Mail and attachments

On Aug 19, 2006, at 11:34 AM, Miles Beck wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I am using a shared host server and would like to be able to backup
> some files automatically and then send it to my gmail account.
>
> I'm trying to use the tools given with the shell account but I am
> unable to see the file attached as an attachment with Gmail.

If you have PHP available, you could try the following. It requires
the HTMLMimeMail class from phpguru.org. http://www.phpguru.org/
static/mime.mail.html That's the PHP4 version. There's a rewritten
version that takes advantage of the new PHP5 object model, but most
shared hosts are still using PHP4 (unfortunately).

I just bashed this out, so there may be typos, but it should be
something to get started with. I've used the htmlMimeMail class in
several projects and it works very well. This won't work well with
large files, since the file will be read into memory before being sent.

mailer.php :
##################################
/usr/local/bin/php -q
<?
require_once 'htmlMimeMail.class.php';

// add as many recipients as you want
$to = array('');

$mail =& new htmlMimeMail();
$attachment = $mail->getFile('/path/to/your/file');
$mail->addAttachment($attachment,'filename','mime/type');
$mail->setText('add a text message to the email if you like');
$mail->setFrom('');
$mail->setSubject('Backup File');
$result = $mail->send($to);

// simple check to see that mail was accepted for delivery
if($result) {
// ok
exit(0);
} else {