Re: OpenSUSE 10.1

Author: Alan Dayley
To: nathan, Main PLUG discussion list
New-Topics: OpenSuse 10.1 VS Fedora Core 5 (split from Re: OpenSUSE 10.1)
Subject: Re: OpenSUSE 10.1
On Mon, August 14, 2006 9:54 am, Nathan England wrote:

> I just installed openSUSE 10.1 and located the installation source from
> novell's site. However, the zend thing still says no updates available and
> when I try to use the system update it tells me there is nothing avalable.
>
> Is this possible? I really do not like openSUSE 10.1, but I was hoping the
> problems I'm having with it would be straightened out by some updates. How
> do
> you update the free/download version?

Migrating to OpenSUSE has been a wonderful changed from my experiences
with Fedora Core 5. However, the broken package manager in OpenSUSE 10.1
is a pain. I have had success correcting it by following the procedure
outlined here: http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS3687730057.html

Be patient. Some of the steps during the fix take a long time because of
the borked-ness. But, it is much better after you do the update outlined
in the article.

Alan