Re: Bad User! No Program for You!

Author: Richard Wilson
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Bad User! No Program for You!
I was in a Sun class when I heard of the following error message. It
seems that at some point in the far past the AT&T gurus working on UNIX
put in some error messages in Latin -- they were all error messages that
you should NEVER see, but were meaningful... The class instructor knew
Latin and had a former fellow employee call him up and ask if he could
translate the following:

Ecce! Hodie natus est pro geminus radicus!

The friend was trying to port Unix to a Burroughs mainframe (don't ask
me why!) and upon being told the translation of the message, realized
what he had done: "Behold! Unto us is born a twin to root!". I've been
told that a few years later all the Latin error messages were removed.

Rich W