Re: Boot problem

Author: KevinO
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Boot problem
joe wrote:
> .
> Darrin Chandler <> wrote:
>> At this point, regardless of whether a drive is bad or not, I think you
>> should have a good copy of any important data somewhere else besides
>> this computer. That's always good advice, and usually ignored, and
>> usually that works out fine. But a LOT has been going on, and weird
>> things are happening, and messing around with partitions, etc. If you
>> have any data that you can't lose, copy it somewhere else!
>
> You are so right! But the question is, how best to copy the
> crucial data? I normally burn a DVD of my home directory/folder
> (about 2.3 Gig) at the first of each month, so my last one is
> a month old. So the question now is, can I use KB3 on Knoppix,
> to burn a DVD of this directory, and if so what would be the steps
> to do that?
>
> I have been able to copy a few files to a flash stick, but even
> doing that has proved to be a bit tricky.

I would recommend (assuming you have another working box to use) that you boot up
with a Knoppix disk, then use scp or rsync to push the files over a network
connection to another box. At least that is the way that I always do it.

Rsync over ssh is my preferred method, if I want to preserve file attributes and
such.
- --
KevinO