Re: Boot problem

Author: Alan Dayley
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Boot problem
Eric "Shubes" wrote:
> I stopped by Joe's this afternoon. The good new is we got his DSL modem
> working.

Very nice of you to do.

- --[clip]--
> Any ideas are appreciated. We're stumped at this point.

Are both the hard drives on the same IDE bus? ie. on the same cable?
Are they correctly jumper configured as master and slave?

I have seen cases where drives "go away" or other weirdness when the
drives were jumper configured incorrectly or when using cable select.
Some drives just don't do well with master/slave/cable select issues. A
quick way to test is to disconnect hdb completely and see what the BIOS
thinks of that.

Granted, in this case it seems to have developed a sensitivity all of a
sudden, but it is something to check.

Alan