Re: Digital Tablet

Author: Ted Gould
To: cparrish, Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Digital Tablet
On Thu, 2006-07-20 at 15:57 -0700, Carl Parrish wrote:
> Okay I want to try my hand at digital drawing / painting. Anyone one
> know of a digital tablet that works well with Linux? What software is
> out there to use? I'm not a graphic artist so probably won't be spending
> a lot more than $300.00 on it, but want something of reasonable quality.
> Any ideas?

The Intuos tablets by Wacom are nice, but if you're not doing serious
art, the smaller Graphires are probably good enough for what you're
doing. The Wacom tablets work well with Linux, but you'll probably have
to hand edit your xorg.conf file by hand to get it working. There are
lots of HOWTOs on the web.

As far as software, Inkscape and GIMP both have pretty good tablet
support. Of course, it all depends on what you want to do. I think
most people had a good time using the Inkscape calligraphy tool with the
Intuos tablets at SCALE.

        --Ted