Re: Fedora core blah and Redhat v.whatever

Author: Craig White
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Fedora core blah and Redhat v.whatever
On Wed, 2006-07-19 at 20:24 -0500, wrote:
> > I am not nor have i ever been a redhat or fedora user, so i was
> > wondering if any one can tell me what the major difference is between
> > them? I am really interested in the command line areas but, all other
> > comparisons will be greatly appreciated. Ray
>
> Very little is different. Fedora is the community version. It has twice
> yearly updates (and many individual software updates also any time).
>
> Red Hat is mostly based on Fedora. It has "enterprise" support basically
> meaning it is slower change and has professional assistance for it.
>
> Basically the command usage is identical but Fedora may have some newer
> features and tools.

----
As stated, Fedora is a time-based release intended to be cutting edge
release versions of many things - first and foremost are kernel and gcc
and many of the server daemons but primarily the desktop software
packages.

I tend to use Fedora for my desktop systems. Fedora systems tend to have
a short life span...officially they are 'end of life' when the
subsequent release hits test phase 2. For example, Fedora Core 4 and
Fedora Core 5 are current. If you look at the Fedora Core Schedule
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Core/Schedule, Fedora Core 6 - Test 2 is
scheduled for 1 week from now, July 26th at which point, Fedora Core 4
will be transferred to FedoraLegacy and it's anyone's guess if it will
be maintained at that point and for how long it will be maintained.
Given the short term of certain maintenance, it is probably a poor
candidate for a server that you plan to keep in service for a long time.
I would say that Fedora Core 5 is a really good desktop system though.

I tend to use RHEL or CentOS (which is a re-spin of RHEL that is free -
no SLA) for servers. RHEL and by inheritance, CentOS have very long
support cycles so you can continue to keep it updated for approximately
8 years from release without having to re-install.

Red Hat's intention was to have Fedora become the test bed for future
releases of their 'Enterprise' product (RHEL in various release forms
such as AS/ES/WS) and therefore, they are similar in usage/layout etc.
and it is somewhat trivial moving between Fedora and RHEL.

>From the command line, there is very little difference between them.

Craig