Re: Document Forensics

Author: der.hans
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Document Forensics
Am 18. Jul, 2006 schwätzte Craig Brooksby so:

> OK: I remember someone out there being involved in computer
> forensics. I have to train a bunch of office people on the risks
> inherent in sending out Word, Excel, and other MS-Office docs, which
> contain metadata (deleted words and values, etc.), The recipient,
> with a little work, can find out what the price was before you made
> that final change, or who the customer was before you searched and
> replaced with their name.
>
> If anyone out there can share, and if it's not too OT, please give me

data security and integrity is seldom off topic.

> tips on open-source tools one can use to explore / remove metadata
> from docs. And yes, I prefer the OO suite, but these are lawers and
> law offices, and Word reigns supreme there (and WordPerfect!).

less works wonderfully :). Probably confuses many people, so try strings
instead.

You might also be able to use undo or change control in OO.o, WordPerfect
or even m$ office.

You might also want to demonstrate opening 'locked' files.

You might also want to demonstrate opening deleted files.

ciao,

der.hans
#  Join the League of Professional System Administrators! https://LOPSA.org/
#  You can't handle the source! - der.hans