Re: PLUG Lunix Installfest - Saturday, 07/29/06

+ (text/html)
Author: Mike Schwartz
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Alexander Henry, Mike L Schwartz
Subject: Re: PLUG Lunix Installfest - Saturday, 07/29/06
On 7/16/06, Alexander Henry <> wrote:

> [...]
> Linux at home without damaging your PC or files. While no RSVP is
> required,
> if you are considering attending, an e-mail to the event coordinator
> stating
> your specific interest would be greatly appreciated. Please e-mail
> with "Installfest" in the subject
> line. The
> PLUG Installfest is held at UAT on the last Saturday of every month.
>
> Linux is a free Unix-type operating system originally created by Linus
> Torvalds
> with the assistance of developers around the world. Developed under the
> GNU
> General Public License, the source code for Linux is freely available to
> everyone. Apart from the fact that it's freely distributed, Linux's
> functionality, adaptability, and robustness has made it the main
> alternative
> to proprietary Unix and Microsoft operating systems. IBM, Hewlett-Packard
> and
> other giants of the computing world have embraced Linux and support its
> ongoing development. More than a decade after its initial release, Linux
> is
> being utilized worldwide as a server platform primarily. Its use as a
> home
> and office desktop operating system is also on the rise. Local computer
> vendor and service provider Red Seven (http://www.redseven.biz/) provides
> computer systems and IT services to the home user and small business.
> National governments in countries such as China, India, Germany,
> Singapore,
> Brazil, and many more are adopting Linux as their official operating
> system in
> both servers and desktops. Some governments are adopting economic
> policies
> around a future boom in Linux.
>
> The Phoenix Linux User Group is the local Linux user's group (LUG) for the
> Phoenix area. Like any other computer user group, it is populated by
> hobbyists and computer professionals, and provides a forum for discussion.
> Unlike many other computer user groups, LUGs also provide the same
> functions
> as a "regional office" for IBM, Macintosh, Microsoft, or Sun; they have
> the
> responsibility to train, support, and educate Linux users, coordinate
> Linux
> consultants, advocate Linux as a computing solution, and serve as liaison
> local news outlets. Because Linux is Free Software or Open Source
> software,
> LUGs are entirely volunteer based. PLUG holds several monthly meetings:
> one
> in the southwest Phoenix area, one in Glendale, one in Mesa, and one in
> Tempe.
> PLUG membership is free and anyone may join. PLUG also welcomes users and
> fans of all Free Software and Open Source Software such as GNU and

In regard to the part where it says:

> PLUG holds several monthly meetings: one
> in the southwest Phoenix area, one in Glendale, one in Mesa, and one in

Tempe. [...]

some updating of the "standard script" might be in order [next time].
I think the "West Side" meetings that used to be held in *Glendale*, are
now
held at a location [near Bell Road and I-17] that is technically in Phoenix.
So maybe it should say something more generic, like "West Side"
instead of "Glendale". just a 0.02 suggestion...
--
Mike Schwartz
Glendale AZ