Re: Ubuntu tape backup

Author: der.hans
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Ubuntu tape backup
Am 13. Jul, 2006 schwätzte Nate Plamondon so:

> I recently acquired a Dell PowerVault 120T SCSI tape autochanger for

My sympathies.

> use with my Ubuntu Dapper machine at home. I have precious little
> experience with tape backups and could use a little help. I have thus
> far tried using amanda (no autochanger support) and bacula (doesn't

I'm pretty sure I've used amanda with autochangers before.

> want to use my autochanger). I think bacula could fulfill my needs,
> but I'm not entirely sure how to configure it to work properly. I
> could also use a hand setting up a sane backups scheme. I have some
> ideas, but I would like an experienced opinion. Thanks in advance!

Try moving things around by hand just to make sure the autochanger and the
commo with the OS are working.

mtx - controls tape autochangers

Yup, looks like amanda can handle libraries.

###
MTX can be used to manipulate tape auto-changers, also known as
"jukeboxes", such that backup software can make use of the multiple tape
capabilities of the auto-changer. In particular, this is necessary glue
for using a backup system like Amanda with a DDS auto-changer like the HP
Surestore 12000e.
###

ciao,

der.hans