Re: VPS - SendMail Config

Author: Craig White
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: VPS - SendMail Config
On Tue, 2006-07-11 at 19:38 -0700, Eric "Shubes" wrote:

> > The packaging restrictions on Qmail are anti-GPL.
>
> Of course they're non-GPL, but anti-GPL? What the heck is anti-GPL? How
> can a license be anti-GPL?

----
clarification - not compatible with GPL, cannot be distributed with GPL
packages.
----

> They are what they are. That's DJB's call. I don't necessarily agree
> with his philosophies, but that doesn't diminish the quality of the
> software.

----
it sort of does in my opinion.
----

> > The mechanics of Qmail
> > don't allow easy integration of really nice mail server add-ons such as
> > greylisting and content scanning (MailScanner comes to mind here).
>
> I wouldn't try to tackle qmail in and of (by) itself, but the qmail
> toaster is pre-integrated with many desirable add-ons, and it's also
> preconfigured and tested. No need to assemble the pieces. That feature
> alone was a significant factor to me.

----
MailScanner is brilliant and it isn't available as part of Qmail or
toaster, nor is greylisting. Heck, greylisting skims 70-95% of the spam
off the top before you ever bother doing SMTP/DNSRBL/virus/spam checks
and considerably lightens the mail load.

Craig