Re: monitor

Author: Kurt Granroth
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: monitor
betty wrote:
> newegg has a nice 19" viewsonic, but what is this connector?:
>> RGB analog (75 ohms, 0.7 Vp-p); DVI-D
>
> i have my linux computer a really old emachine 550 mhz and i don't know
> if it has whatever that connector is, is it something that i can get an
> adaptor for a serial or usb input???

RGB analog is another way of saying VGA. I'm not sure why they don't
just say VGA since that's the more commonly used term. Your computer
already supports VGA (guaranteed) so it's your most hassle free route.

You can tell if your computer supports VGA or DVI by looking at the
connectors on the back. A VGA connector is almost always colored blue
and has 15 round pins. You can see a drawing of one here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_connector

A DVI connector is slightly bigger, is almost always colored white, and
has bigger square pins instead of the small round pins of VGA. You can
see a drawing of one here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVI

Mind you, the chances of you having a DVI connector on your eMachine is
pretty much nil. DVI is a relatively new standard and it's somewhat
rare for even brand new machines to support it.

Neither serial nor USB have anything to do with monitors.