OT: need an opinion

Author: Nathan England
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: OT: need an opinion

I don't know how much I trust linux LVM as I haven't experienced a drive
failure and recovery yet. I have a machine with a current raid 5 setup with 5
17GB scsi drives. A sixth 80gb scsi drive is available but cannot be added to
the raid 5.

I am considering dumping the raid 5 and allowing LVM to group all the drives
together. I have two questions...

1) Is LVM easily recovered like the raid 5 should a drive fail?
2) Will I even be able to have any redundancy with this 80 gb playing with the
17's?

Nathan
--

Nathan England

IT Consultant
Linux Administration / Software Development

    Specializing in Replacing Windows
      Problems With Linux Solutions