Re: where is the best Barnes and Noble for buying computer b…

Author: Craig White
To: alandd, Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: where is the best Barnes and Noble for buying computer books?
On Tue, 2006-06-06 at 08:23 -0700, Alan Dayley wrote:
> Jerry Davis said:
> > I normally go to Borders, and I've been to the B&N at chandler mall but
> > was not too impressed.
> >
> > Is there a B&N somewhere that has a good selection of Computer books.
> >
> > Looking for Ruby and Python books mostly.
>
> I don't think you'll see much of an inventory difference between one store
> or another in the same chain.
>
> There is a B&N (or is it Borders?) at Baseline and Val Vista in the fancy
> mall there. A Borders where I usually buy my copy of Linux Journal is in
> the mall on the east side of Gilbert Rd. and the 101. Those are the two I
> visit most often though I have not looked through their computer book
> sections in a while.
>
> Online alternatives:
> 1. Buy O'Reilly books (some of the best) direct and use the user group
> discount code "DSUG" on checkout for a discount of 30% for one and 35% on
> two or more books.
>
> 2. bookpool.com is a great place for computer books. Many times you can
> pay the premium for overnight shipping and still pay less than the in
> store price at a chain book store.
>
> 3. Amazon.com is always there if you don't have qualms about their patent
> practices.

----
the retailers like Borders and Barnes and Noble sell these books at full
retail while you can get 30% or more off by ordering online (i.e.
Amazon). Even their member cards (Borders Rewards is free, B&N charges
$25 per annum) only get you 10% off.

O'Reilly is good but I think they missed it on Ruby/Rails

Manning (Ruby For Rails) has a deal where you pay full retail and can
download the PDF form and get the dead tree form shipped to you and I
think Pragmatic has much the same (Agile Web Development for Rails is
still the Rails bible and Programming Ruby is pretty much the Ruby
equivalent).

Craig