Re: Graphic Cards for Suse 10.1 and Fedora Core 5

Author: Carl Parrish
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Graphic Cards for Suse 10.1 and Fedora Core 5
wrote:
> FWIW:
>
> The 5500 is essentially a 5200 on steroids. The 5200 was a lame card
> even when new.
>
> The 6200 is about the same price, maybe $10 more, if you shop around,
> and significantly superior in performance, and since it's also a
> nVidia product, it should share from the driver commitment.
>
> Look at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130008
>
> A 128Mb 6200 for $45 delivered, $30 after rebate.
>
> or
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130278
>
> A 256Mb one for $66 delivered, $56 after rebate.

And now I'm confused again. Amazon has both cards for the same price so
that's not a factor. The 6200 seems to have Dual 400Mz
of RAMDAC vs. the 5500's 350Mz (don't really know but I'm assuming 400
is better). The 5500 has 6.4GB/sec of Memory Bandwidth vs. the 6200's
3.2GB/sec so it sounds to me that the 5500 can move information twice as
fast. This also seems to be supported in that the 550 has 128 bit Memory
while the 6200 only has 64 Bit DDR MemoryThe both have 256 Bit as, I'm
guessing, primary memory. But the 5500 actually lists Linux as a
supported OS in its description (only just saw that now). Again I know
next to nothing about video cards so I'm open to learning, but could you
give me more information as to why the 6200 is better?