Re: re[4]: Hiring Computer Techs.

+ (text/html)
Author: FoulDragon@aol.com
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: re[4]: Hiring Computer Techs.
In a message dated 5/16/2006 11:47:12 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
writes:
>But
>tell me why degree in programming doesn't require heavy math? Because I
>suck at math.

Well, you can take maths classes for your technical electives. I took them.

>I get annoyed when people like to come up some type of negative response
>or even portray a holier than thou attitude in general.

I'm sorry for the attitude. I merely thought (at the time) that acquiring a
degree would look more impressive than any individual certification in the
eyes of employers. In part it was also a sarcastic "sucks to be me" comment
about the poor employment value of my degree.

>The bottom line to the certification debate is that certifications are
>important.

I guess I still remember the old Microsoft Certified Button Presser fiascos
of the late dot-com era... "Come to our cram school! Get a paper MSCE! Yet
still be baffled by a request to find the 'on' switch!"

I actually tend to agree; in many regards, a WELL-DONE certification
programme can be a sensible alternative to an academic programme. Especially when the
academic programme includes a bunch of bull. (Why couldn't they offer some
classes in .net instead of language theory? :rolls eyes:) Given the diverse
needs of the computer and IT industry, certifications might be a superior way to
locate qualified candidates than to try and analyse wildly different degree
programmes.

The one merit I will give to a degree over a certification: it's a lot
harder to dance your way through a four or more year degree programme without any
actual skills, than to pull out a pass on a single certification test.