Re: Ann: East Side Meeting, Thursday, May 11th

Author: Darrin Chandler
To: alandd, Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Ann: East Side Meeting, Thursday, May 11th
On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 11:01:06AM -0700, Alan Dayley wrote:
> Topics:
> - Report on the Desktop Linux Summit that happened the end of last month
> (http://www.desktoplinuxsummit.com/)
> - The PLUG Website: What's it got and how do I use it?
>
> The above topics I am taking from memory so we'll see how right I am.
> I'll be doing the PLUG Website portion so I know that is right!

Here's a select portion of Hans' posting from some time ago:

When: Thursday, 11May2006, 19:00, PLUG East Side
Where: Sequoia Charter School, 1460 S Horne, Room 804, Mesa
Speaker: Scott Ruecker
Topic: Desktop Linux Summit report
Speaker: Darrin Chandler
Topic: Fighting SPAM using greylisting with OpenBSD's spamd
Network: wired and wireless
Recurring: the second Thursday of every month

Details: The 4th Annual Desktop Linux Summit is on the 24th and 25th of
April in San Diego. Scott will be attending and will give PLUG a report
about what he saw at DLS 2006.

Speaker Bio: Scott Ruecker aka "sharkscott" lives in Phoenix, Arizona.
Is
a Special Education Major at Arizona State University and claims to have
taken way too many history classes. He works as a sales rep for a large
OEM, tries to pronounce "Linux" correctly and plays Drums in a
rock-n-roll
band every Saturday night.

First exposed to OSS when he heard about "This Linux Thing" in 2002.
Got his start on the Fedora Cores, Ku-Ubuntu and then to SuSE. Has
used SuSE since 9.1 and thinks he likes it.

Details: Fighting spam using greylisting with OpenBSD's spamd, plus
other
assorted tools. It's worked wonders for Darrin's current employer's
email
and his personal domains. Greylisting fights spam by initially giving a
temporary failure message to unknown mail servers, causing them to queue
for later delivery. Most spammers don't retry, so greylisting
effectively
blocks spam at the mail server.

Speaker Bio: Darrin Chandler has been a computer professional for 20
years in the roles of software developer and system administrator.
Darrin
has been using Linux since 1996, and has administered Linux, FreeBSD and
OpenBSD systems for small company servers and ISPs.

http://www.stilyagin.com/  |