Re: Virtual Networking

Author: Michael Vanecek
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Virtual Networking
Heh - you think too highly of me. :) Getting 2 nics working was easy.
Firewalling took a bit of research, plus going thru every server (I run
Apache/Mysql/PHP for webdevel, as well as Webmin and let's not forget X)
and configuring it not to listen to requests from the external nic and
disabling ICMP access and whatnot. I'd have to re-research it to do it
all over again. :) Currently, the internal network is 192.168.192.* - I
was thinking of setting the second one to 192.168.193.* - is that enough
to isolate the two networks and still give access to the gateway which
is 192.168.192.2? Not sure if I need to alter the subnet mask tho for
the virtual network - it's currently the standard 255.255.255.0 for the
internal network and if I alter it, I'm afraid I'll disable access to
the gateway - tho I'm far from a network expert. Thanks for letting me
know it's possible - I double-checked and indeed have no available PCI
slots and don't really wish to spend $150 for a dual-eth nic - tho the
USB network is still an option. I have a spare switch if it comes down
to that.

Be well,
Mike
--