Virtual Networking

Author: Michael Vanecek
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Virtual Networking
I have a little computer shop and would like to separate my family
network from the shop network so I don't have to worry about virus
infections across the network and whatnot. One option is to add another
NIC to the system - but I'm out of slots. Another option is to stick on
a USB network adapter. However, isn't it possible to assign 2 network
addresses to a single NIC? As in, the physical interface being
192.168.192.* and the virtual IP being a different network address
altogether - allowing me to effectively isolate it while allowing both
networks to access the gateway address 192.168.192.1? Any pointers to
documentation would be greatly helpful. I use Gentoo as my gateway and
firewall.

Thanks,
Mike