Re: Gentoo and installfest

Author: Slide
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Gentoo and installfest
On 4/29/06, Eric Shubes <> wrote:
> KE7FEG wrote:
> > A couple ???'s.
> >
> > Thinking of gentoo as an os. Never got it to install
> > properly on other machines.
> >
> > 1. Will anyone there know Gentoo and install it?
>
> Erik Bixby knows gentoo, but he's not going to be there today.
> Why gentoo? That's a source distribution, so you need to compile
> everything, which takes quite some time - too long to complete at the IF.

I've done a complete Gentoo install in about 20 minutes with a stage 3
(which is pretty much the only one supported these days). You can
still compile everything using a stage1, but most people use a stage2
or 3 these days. You can even do a GRP install which uses binary
packages.

> > 2. How much 'trouble' am I asking for to bring just
> > the cpu/mouse/kbd to the installfest and use some
> > other monitor. I have a acer 19" lcd monitor,,,too
> > much to take on a city bus. Don't want to get home
> > w/it and cannot see it due to several lib's being in
> > dire need of change.
>
> Shouldn't be a problem. There's usually (I think) a spare monitor
> around. Bring in the documentation for your monitor (sync, refresh
> rates) and we should be able to configure it so that it'll work ok with
> minimal resolution. Then you can tweak it up when you get it back home.
> >
> > Nothing on hd right now, amd2600, 120gb hd, 512mb, dvd rom/cdrw.
>
> Sounds like a slam dunk. I'd really recommend something other than
> gentoo though, unless you want to get (deep) into that sort of thing.

The reason I use Gentoo is because of the configuration methods. I
find the way of configuring packages and services and such much easier
on Gentoo than other distros (although Debian is my other favorite).
If you're new to Linux, I would recommend something along the lines of
(K)Ubuntu. I installed Ubuntu in less than 10 minutes and was up and
running with pretty much everything I wanted. The only drawback I
found with Ubuntu was that a lot of packages are depended on by the
base system which means you can' t uninstall them without a bit of
trouble. I like to remove lots of stuff for some reason.

Anyway, hope that helps.

slide