Re: Linux PDA's???

Author: Vaughn Treude
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Linux PDA's???
Thanks to all for much helpful advice.

My main reason for having a PDA, besides storing contacts and
appointments, is to be able to take notes, and to work on articles and
stories whenever and wherever the mood strikes me. Dragging my Sony
notebook everywhere isn't practical, and the long boot time rules out
the quick jotting of ideas. I could do this with pen and paper of
course, but keeping it in electronic format saves the time and effort of
transcription, as well as the horror of reading my own illegible
handwriting. :-) A device that connects to wifi would be nice but not
essential. I'm happy with my bare-bones cellphone, and I suppose
incorporating the features I want in a PDA would give me a huge clunky
combo, or something with a screen to small to see. So I'll stay with
separate devices.

The Nokia sounds like a heck of a device - too pricey for me to afford
right now, but maybe when I start getting paid for this next project, I
could do that.

Though I'm irked at Palm right now, I might still consider one,
especially something with PalmOS but not made by Palm - don't know if
any of those exist any more, I know Sony stopped selling the Clie. The
sad thing was I was just starting to use it enough that I bought an IR
keyboard for it. Luckily, this keyboard would be compatible with most
other PDA's, but I would be surprised if it worked with the Nokia, which
seems to be a slightly different animal. The Nokia has a nice $150
bluetooth keyboard, as opposed to the $50 Belkin keyboard I just
bought.

Speaking of IR keyboards, a bit of free advice: avoid PDA keyboards by
Pocketop! If you buy an off-brand, check the fine print and make sure
Pocketop didn't make it. This company got sold and the new owners are
the most obnoxious jerks. The product has a CD with drivers only for
the oldest PDA's. You go to their website and they have written drivers
for the newer devices, and they want you to pay $10 for each. There's
no indication of this fact on the packaging (which touts universal
compatibility) that this might be the case. It's not so much the money
as the principle of the thing, which I think borders on fraud. (Some
disgruntled customers were posting the drivers online, and of course
Pocketop threatened them with legal action.) I returned the one I bought
and got the Belkin instead, which was better designed anyway.

Thanks again!
Vaughn