need suggestions and reviews

Author: Jerry Davis
To: plug-discuss
Subject: need suggestions and reviews
Currently, at work, we have text files, and .doc, and .ppt, and .xls
files that have lots of info in them. Files usually are not named for
what there content has evolved into, etc.

What we need is a way to search all this crap for what we need to know.
I don't even mind if we have to reformat it all into something else,
and put the images out in there own separate files.

I am also looking for something that will allow non-developers to even
add content to it (whatever IT is), so it has to be easy to edit, and
dynamic.

Browser based is a must. I am not married to Internet Exploder, so it
has to work with Firefox as well.

I also, want all users to be able to access it, but certain sections I
want to be access controlled (via a login).

Oh, and it has to be free. And I would like it to run on linux.

One thing that I have seen is wiki type solutions.

Are there any more type solutions out there?

Can someone elucidate what the features are for anything else they think
will work?

Jerry
--
Hobbit Name: Pimpernel Loamsdown
Registered Linux User: 275424

This email's random fortune: You can write a small letter to Grandma in
the filename. -- Forbes Burkowski, CS, University of
Washington