Re: Installfest / two hours?

Author: Michael
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Installfest / two hours?
They removed the d/l from the mirrors! Would you suggest (i figured this out
all an my lonesome):

    mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom;dd if=/mnt/cdrom
    of=<desired file>;tar czf mepis.2003.10.2;umout /mnt/cdrom

or should I not 'z' because it is zipped in it's current state?

Currently, sometimes when I am installing the OS it hangs and I need to turn
everything off and restart. I am thiking this is because of the scrapes on
the CD but I am unsure of that. I will need to upload the copy because k3b
doesn't seem to work. I tried installing the current version but I am afraid
that after upgrading everything else the system will be broken! I looked for
a command line program but 'aproppos burn' returned no positive results.
OH-HOOOOOO! 'aproppos cd' gave me a positive or two: cdrecord and readcd.
inspecting the man poage seems to reveal that cdrecord doesn't do what I need
it to while 'readcd' shows that perhaps the 'clone' option would work. YIPEE!
That program will work! Okay, I need to employ 'mkisofs' first. Then I enter

     readcd dev=2,0 f=<iso file name>

but this is for writing to a dvd-ram. What would i enter for writing to a
plain 'ol cd burner?