How to force Ubunto to redect the network card

Author: Vaughn Treude
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: How to force Ubunto to redect the network card
Hello all,
Thanks to the your help with my CPU heating problem, I have that
troublesome system of mine rebuilt. The reason I had to reinstall the
CPU was that I replaced the existing ABit motherboard (which I believe
has a problem that causes it to lose power sporadically) with a Soyo
motherboard with the same sort of socket. Most of the hardware other
than that I left the same, including the hard drives which had Ubuntu as
the default bootup system. Here's the shocker - Ubuntu came up almost
flawlessly, despite the changed motherboard (as well as a different
video card, due to compatibility issues, though both were made by
Radeon). There was just one problem - though the onboard LAN port says
it's working, it won't communicate. I know that the ABit board used a
via-rhine driver and the Soyo used a rhinefet, but Ubuntu thinks it's
still got a via-rhine in it. That's not surprising, due to the
similarity between the two, because it doesn't quite work. I know the
port works because I just installed Centos 4.3 on another partition and
that works OK. So how can I force Ubuntu to redetect the ethernet
hardware from scratch?
Thanks,
Vaughn