Re: iptables

Author: Darrin Chandler
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: iptables
On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 05:32:32PM -0700, Michael wrote:
> if it matters I can share my ip table but I don't know if that is a goodw
> idea on a public forum.

Perhaps, and perhaps not. Security through obscurity isn't very good
security. Some details are better kept secret, but not the methods of
how you're doing things. I.e., don't let us know your internal IP's.
If you decide to post your iptables stuff, then people here might help
you improve them. Ideally, you want to get to a point where you don't
really care if the scripts kiddies know inside details because they
can't do anything about it. ;)

Or a compromise would be to find someone trustworthy willing to help
and let *them* have the info...

> I find it interesting, however, that cox has been automatically added to my
> table. The addres is different though: ip68-2-116-123.ph.ph.cox.net
> Interesting. Why does it not look like an ipv4 address?

That looks exactly like a the domain name returned from a PTR lookup. The IP
address would be 68.2.116.123.

http://www.stilyagin.com/  |