Re: arts daemon (was: recording with Audacity)

+ (application/pgp-signature)
Author: hh@hayz.ws
To: nathan, plug-discuss
Subject: Re: arts daemon (was: recording with Audacity)
On Monday 03 April 2006 08:40 pm, Nathan England wrote:
> The arts daemon really needs to go away, so much in fact that KDE 4 will no
> longer use it. I wish KDE would just directly interface with alsa, but
> until 4 comes out we are stuck with arts. I disable it, always have, never
> a problem, unless you want audio from your programs. You can configure the
> sounds to use aplay directly though, if you want kopete to make noise!
>
> nathan

Indeed, the arts daemon has been a constant thorn in my side. It regularly
gets in the way of streaming audio and CD playing, so I am constantly killing
that process. I don't know how many times I have killed artsd and had a mad
(and loud) flurry of system sounds ring forth.

I was totally unaware that it was a broader problem though. Good to hear that
the next KDE will move beyond it.

I'll look into aplay. However, I never found a use for Kopete (I'm not the
'chatty' type).
--
Jason Hayes