Re: SSL and Apache

Author: Carl Parrish
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: SSL and Apache
Alex Dean wrote:

> It's not so bad. The main things are :
>
> - You can't have more than 1 SSL site per IP:port combination.
> - You have to specify a port for every virtual host (80, 443, or
> otherwise) in the <VirtualHost>. There are differences in using
> named virtual hosts vs. ip-based virtual hosts that can be confusing,
> but if you only have 1 IP <VirtualHost *:80> or <VirtualHost *:443>
> will do fine.
>
> The only directives you need in the VirtualHost are :
> SSLEngine On
> SSLCertificateFile file.crt
> SSLCertificateKeyFile file.key
>
> Other directives may be desireable/useful, but those 3 will make it
> 'go'.
>
> alex
> .

Alex,
I currently only have one IP on this computer but I need to set up 3
secure virtual hosts. Would it be better / safer / easier to change ip
addresses or port numbers for the others? I've added IP addresses before
so its not *that* big of a deal but please keep in mind I'm more of a
programmer than a system admin.