Re: hdw, may be somewhat OT

Author: Daniel P. Stasinski
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: hdw, may be somewhat OT
On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 07:19 -0700, Shawn Badger wrote:
> 6 weeks later ASUS mobo died (replaced for free). 18 months later
> ASUS#2 died (replacement was an Abit board, and was free). 2
> months later, Abit died (replaced for free).

Perhaps this is a loaded question, but what causes so many failures?

Purely anecdotal: I have one local server in our call center that has
been sitting quietly on a shelf unattended since early 1998. Never so
much as a hiccup until the day I turned it off and it never came back
on. 8 years from a cheap system built from crappy parts from a seedy
and long since gone Tempe vendor.

Is crappy hardware really brand specific or is it just the draw of the
short straw?

Daniel