Re: Linux Hardware RAID Configuration

Author: Jeff Garland
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Linux Hardware RAID Configuration
Mike Garfias wrote:
> Jeff -
>
> I'll be happy to help a lot more once I'm back in town. (Tuesday will
> probably be the soonest).

Well looks like I might be bailing on this plan after your comment below.

> What I ended up doing was: three sata drives, two mirrored, one hotspare. I
> created two slices on each disk, done for the root slice, and one for the LVM
> slice. Then build the soft raid config. Then used LVM to further divide up
> the 2nd slide into my various file systems.

Oh, for pete sake...that's an awful pain...and at least one more drive
than I was planning to use.

> It was a pain in the butt, and I'll never do soft raid again - but, a 3ware
> card was $2-300 over the budget at this time. Next time I budget a bit more.

Ok, well I'm now thinking of bailing on the whole idea. I'm already way
over my 'fun' limit already. It was really only a nice to have thing on
this system anyway -- just looking for that extra level of assurance
since drives have gotten so reasonable -- and it was supposedly on the mobo.

> Also, I ended up running ubuntu on this thing. Advice: make sure you run a
> 2.6 kernel, the 2.4s blew up (deb + ubuntu). Also, the 64bit deb port is 1/2
> baked at this time.
>
> You could always try Solaris x86 :)

Not a bad idea -- if I abandon my RAID plan I've got a another whole
drive ;-)

Jeff