Re: BSD iso images vs. CD/DVD set

Author: Darrin Chandler
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: BSD iso images vs. CD/DVD set
der.hans wrote:

> Am 22. Feb, 2006 schwätzte S M Mahbub Murshed so:
>
>> As far as I know BSD distros comes in two different flavors, the
>> downloadable iso's dont contain all the packages. But the dvd/cd set
>> that they sell contains more packages. Is it true? Are those cd/dvd's
>> redistributable?
>

> Depends on what software is included. Probably, but if they're including
> proprietary software it might not be legal to redistribute the software.
>
> In any case, you just need the base system and a network connection. *BSD
> can do upgrades over the Net.
>
> I'll let the *BSDers answer how that happens :).

Just like Linux distros, they differ a bit.

OpenBSD doesn't distribute ISO images at all over the net, except for a
CD boot image to use instead of a boot floppy. When you order CDs you
get as many of the most popular packages as will fit, but not *nearly*
everything. The rest can be had from the main site or various mirrors.

Not sure what's available with the other BSDs as far as downloadable
ISOs, but as for the rest I'm sure it's similar. Way too much stuff to
pack into an ISO or four, so why not include the big stuff and make the
rest separate packages?