Re: Save a disk image

Author: Mark Phillips
To: plug-discuss
CC: Gerard Snitselaar, FoulDragon
Subject: Re: Save a disk image
On Sunday 29 January 2006 02:10 pm, wrote:
> In a message dated 1/29/2006 2:01:05 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
> writes:
>
> >How do I copy the hard drive (2.1 GB) to my backup server so I can restore
> it
> >later when I dump the Windows stuff? How do I do the restore? I have a new
> >180GB hard drive on my backup server that I can mount with nfs
>
> Mount the network drive.

I am having trouble mounting it correctly. I can read the network drive, but I
cannot write to it. I have the following:

server (192.168.25.115) in /etc/exports
/backups/mark/inspiron 192.168.25.220(rw,all_squash)

client (192.168.25.220)
mount 192.168.25.115:/backups/mark/inspiron /mnt/inspiron -o rw

After mounting, I can read files in /mnt/inspiron, but I cannot write them.
The 'dd' command fails with 'Permission denied'. The mount command reveals:

192.168.25:115:/backups/mark/inspiron /mnt/inspiron type nfs
(rw,address=192.168.25.115)

I am running the client with a knoppix cd in the root console for knoppix. The
root user on knoppix has uid/guid=0.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

> dd if=/dev/hda of=/mnt/networkdrive/desiredfilename
>
> Shut down and then blow away the drive.
>
> To recover, boot from a rescue disc which can mount NFS and has dd and do it
> in reverse (if=/mnt/networkdrive/filename of=/dev/hda)

Mark Phillips
Phillips Marketing, Inc

602 524-0376
480 945-9197 fax