Re: Save a disk image

Author: Dan Lund
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Save a disk image
One copies everything, block by block, while the other just copies files.
One has the advantage of getting every last detail of the drive (if
that's a problem) while the other has the advantage of not needing to
backup 80Gb of data when the drive only has 10Gb on it.

Choose your poison.

--Dan

On 1/29/06, Gerard Snitselaar <> wrote:
> This method will require setting up the partition table and filesystems
> on the disk before doing the copy back when you want to turn it into a
> debian system again. The dd method given should deal with that since it
> is copying at the disk level.
>

> On Sun, 2006-01-29 at 14:08 -0700, Dan Lund wrote:
> > Boot onto a boot cd like the gentoo live cd, mount the drives under
> > /mnt/gentoo (or any arbitrary mountpoint), then run:
> > "tar -cvpf - /mnt/gentoo | ssh root@backup-server "gzip -9 >
> > /my/backup/directory/backup-tarball.tar.gz".
> >
> > Replace /my/backup/directory with the directory you want to store your
> > bz2 tarball on the remote server, and replace /mnt/gentoo with where
> > you mounted your debian partition on the machine being backed up.
> >
> > I've done this half a billion times as a quick way to get a copy of
> > the OS before I blast a machine for other use.
> >
> > --Dan

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so
many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled -
because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too
cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are
called patience and forbearance.
Friedrich Nietzsche