Re: Save a disk image

Author: Dan Lund
To: Mark Phillips, Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Save a disk image
Boot onto a boot cd like the gentoo live cd, mount the drives under
/mnt/gentoo (or any arbitrary mountpoint), then run:
"tar -cvpf - /mnt/gentoo | ssh root@backup-server "gzip -9 >
/my/backup/directory/backup-tarball.tar.gz".

Replace /my/backup/directory with the directory you want to store your
bz2 tarball on the remote server, and replace /mnt/gentoo with where
you mounted your debian partition on the machine being backed up.

I've done this half a billion times as a quick way to get a copy of
the OS before I blast a machine for other use.

--Dan

On 1/29/06, Mark Phillips <> wrote:
> I have an older laptop running debian. I need to convert it to a Windows PC
> for a couple of months. However, I want to put it back to its current debian
> configuration when I am done. I would rather not have to through the debian
> netinstall again and set everything up.
>
> How do I copy the hard drive (2.1 GB) to my backup server so I can restore it
> later when I dump the Windows stuff? How do I do the restore? I have a new
> 180GB hard drive on my backup server that I can mount with nfs.
>
> I don't have enough room on the laptop hard drive to make a partition for
> Windows.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Mark Phillips
> Phillips Marketing, Inc
>
> 602 524-0376
> 480 945-9197 fax

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so
many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled -
because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too
cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are
called patience and forbearance.
Friedrich Nietzsche