Re: multiple logins & devices

Author: Josh Coffman
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: multiple logins & devices

--- Scott <> wrote:
> Josh Coffman wrote:
>
> >Something I haven't gotten working in my FC4 is
> >allowing multiple simultaneous sessions to share
> >devices such as sound or dvd/cdrw.
> >
> >I'd like to allow my kids to switch to their own
> >session without logging off my wife or myself.
> That's
> >no problem, but then things like sound or dvd
> access
> >doesn't work because the devices are already under
> the
> >control of the first user.
> >
> >I'm pretty sure this is permissions thing, but I
> don't
> >know where/how to adjust this. Anybody know how to
> do
> >this?
> >
> >Thanks
> >

> >Shin zen ni rei
> >-j
> >Registered Linux user number 403109
> > http://counter.li.org/
> >
> Josh,
>
> It shouldn't be a problem as long as they're in the
> same group (I think
> it's the audio group, at least, that's what it is in
> Debian) and as long
> as whatever program is running in another session
> that grabs the audio
> device is shutdown. If that isn't a possibility,
> then perhaps a sound
> daemon such as esound or artsd could be used. If
> you've got a few
> bucks, the SoundBlaster Live! is an excellently
> supported soundcard that
> has multiple hardware DSP's so that you can run
> multiple audio programs
> without the use of a software sound daemon.
>
> -Scott

Having tried to do it before, I know I get an error
about no sound device available on the second+ logins.
I think I checked dmesg to find it was a device
permissions thing and tried to correct it in config,
but gave up when my first try didn't work. Had more
important things at the time.

I'm also not sure I setup the users with the right
group memberships. I just entered a username/password
and moved on since I was just getting into linux when
I first setup FC4. (tried several distros but not
doing this.)