Re: Need advice from Phoenix area technology professionals

Author: Gene Holmerud
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Need advice from Phoenix area technology professionals
JD Austin wrote:

> I certainly wouldn't live in some South Phoenix neighborhoods, but I
> don't think the crime rate is very bad in Az. I live in the extreme
> East Valley (30+ miles east of Phoenix). It has it's pros and cons.
> It's quiet, I have a huge yard and a lot of privacy. The downside is
> that it's an hour ride to work in the morning. People in Queen Creek
> currently have an issue with traffic bottle necks in the morning.
> http://maps.google.com in hybrid mode is great to gauge population
> density in whatever area you're thinking of living.

I live in one of those "South Phoenix" neighborhoods. Aside from how
obsolete that bad rap is, it's a pretty good place to live.
Particularly if you want to commute to downtown. There has been a lot
of home building in the last five years, and the houses are occupied.
So you won't find any bargains.

One of the major areas of home building is WAY south and east, just over
the Pinal County line, that is even farther than J D Austin. Prices are
around $200k for a modest 2 Br. home. Apparently speculators have been
driving up the prices throughout the Valley (read "Valley of the Sun")
the last few years, until recently, but now it is very much a buyer's
market. My Niece is trying to sell one of those houses in Pinal County
and there are nine For Sale/Rent signs on her block! But the commute is
15 miles of way-under capacity country roads until you get to where
there will be a freeway in, maybe, five years. And the freeways are
bogged down during commute hours. This was all covered Sun. & Mon. in
the Arizona Republic newspaper. If you can work at home, you may just
do well.

Gene