OT - 2006 Science Bowl Competition -- Help Needed

Author: Gene Holmerud
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: OT - 2006 Science Bowl Competition -- Help Needed
Science Bowl is a DOE program to encourage and reward high-school
students to become proficient in math and science to meet our country's
needs in the decades ahead. This year we are desperately in need of
volunteers to help with the competition, particularly before noon, on
Saturday, March 4, at Glendale Community College. It's a lot of fun,
and a lite breakfast and lunch are provided. Here are the jobs we are
talking about:

- Score Keeper: Adding 4 or 10 to a score to derive the next team
score. No problem.

- Time Keeper: Using a big round clock or a laptop. Basically like
setting an alarm clock.

- Rules Judge: For those who have helped before, since the students
know the rules very well.

- Moderator: Reading the questions which involves chemical formulas and
the pronouncing of scientific terms. The competition aspects are
learned quickly.

We open registration (& lite breakfast) at 7AM and begin working by
7:30. The most help is needed up until lunch with eight competitions
going on at the same time. Fewer occur after lunch, but it is also a
chance to watch the future engineers and scientists do their best during
the finals. The website is
<http://www.wapa.gov/dsw/scibowl/Competition.htm>. Should you desire,
training sessions are available at the WAPA facility (43rd Ave &
Buckeye) prior to the event.

Please contact me at <>, 602.243.6136 or the
Coordinator, Dennis Schaefer at <>, 602.605.2521. Hope
you can participate. Somebody did something similar for me so many
years ago and it made so much of a difference for me.

Gene OT