Re: Changes to /etc/resolv.conf don't stick

Author: Siri Amrit Kaur
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Changes to /etc/resolv.conf don't stick
On Monday 23 January 2006 02:18 pm, Kevin kindly wrote:

> No worries. Don't change ANYTHING until you understand what you are doing.
> As I understand it, you are basically trying to override the bogus
> name-servers being handed out by your Actiontec modem. Ideally, you should
> just correct the modem (but that's quite off-topic for this list).
> Meanwhile, we are trying to use the "supersede" feature of dhclient to
> ignore the name-server IP addresses you are learning from the modem during
> DHCP lease renewal.
>
> Let's start by figuring out what dhcp client you are using. Try this:
> ps aux | grep dhc

Thanks for sticking with me on this. OK, here's what I got. Looks like
Jabberwocky to me:

[tigerflag@localhost ~]$ ps aux | grep dhc
root      2423  0.0  0.1  2208  976 ?        S    Jan16   0:00 /sbin/dhclient
-1 -q -lf /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient-eth0.leases -pf /var/run/dhclient-eth0.pid
-cf /etc/dhclient-eth0.conf eth0
tigerfl   6854  0.0  0.1  2032  632 pts/1    S    13:27   0:00 grep dhc

> Also, check for hints in /var like this:
> find /var/run -name "dhc*"
>
> Do you get any hits on this?

# find /var/run -name "dhc*"
/var/run/dhclient-eth0.pid