Re: SLC vs. MLC, MMC vs. SD

Author: Joseph Sinclair
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: SLC vs. MLC, MMC vs. SD
MMC cards can be used in SD slots, but not the other way around. SD splits one of MMC's contacts to permit slightly more control over the card. The spec also permits higher speeds than the MMC spec does.

The shot-to-shot speed is a combination of buffer memory, processing chip, and card speed. If your Nikon is slower than it's specs, it's probably the card or your shooting style. If it's specs are slow, it's probably the chip and/or limited buffer memory.

The Canon actually stores slightly more data under most conditions. The S2IS has better optics and a better processing chip than the CoolPix 5600, so there's more image fidelity and the JPEG compression doesn't remove quite as much data (on the highest setting, of course).

The faster your card the better a Canon S2IS will do There is no card on the market faster than the DiGiC II processing chip the S2IS uses, so the card speed is the primary throttle on camera performance.
Unfortunately most vendors are detailing their burst read rate, rather than sustained write speed, which is the critical value for cameras. SanDisk Extreme II or Extreme III memory is currently the hands-down speed leader with write performance over 9MB/Sec.

The Use of SLC vs. MLC is a distraction. MLC can be just as fast as SLC. The real determinant of write speed is the in-card memory controller chip that determines how many memory blocks can be written to simultaneously, and how data is spread across blocks.

One of the things that will probably slow you down with any "prosumer" camera is the focus time, since they all can spend a lot of time seeking in auto-focus mode. The picture will take a lot longer shot-to-shot if it has to refocus for each shot. You should spend some time learning the different shooting modes of the camera to see which settings enable you to take more shots in less time under different conditions. If you're primarily shooting indoors, for instance, the settings that will produce the best response are quite different from the settings you'd use outdoors.