Re: Report: Linux presentation in east Mesa

Author: Siri Amrit Kaur
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Report: Linux presentation in east Mesa
On Wednesday 18 January 2006 08:20 pm, Jerry Davis kindly wrote:
> let me add my $0.02 here.
>
> these 30 or so people represent 20-30 people in their own groups.
> we have a BIG opportunity here. but it will take mentoring, and many hours
> (at least at first) of intense hand-holding of people who are only used to
> doing things one way - the windows way.
>
> if only 5 people in each of the 30 groups try linux, that represents 150
> people who need lots of help at first.
>
> we need real commitment here. but the gains would be TREMENDOUS. do you
> know how many seniors live (at least part time) in the phoenix area? lots,
> and they talk to one another! just think of what we could do here.
>
> i suggest that if we want to further the cause, we should be more proactive
> rather than passive about our help to them. saying RTFM will not suffice
> here.  I have direct experience with mentoring a "senior citizen", it takes
> time and effort and PATIENCE. sooner or later they will get it. and when
> they do we will be rewarded.
>
> i support what eric says about taking the install fest to them.
>
> putting up a list for this would be fine, but we need to be mentors.
> i for one volunteer.
>
> i hope this didn't come across as a rant, i just wanted to let you know
> what kind of commitment this will be.
>
> jerry

I live at one of these East Valley senior communities, and I'd be willing to
volunteer to help people at my park and the one across the street. If someone
wants to contact me off list I'll give them my address. Maybe someone from my
park was at that meeting and I can offer my (admittedly poor) services to
him/her.

To do an Installfest on this side of town for the Seniors would be a very good
idea- I'd be willing to help. Most communities have clubhouses with lots of
tables and chairs. If they have enough wall sockets and juice then you're in
business.

Pick a centrally located community in Mesa for the Installfest, send flyers to
the computer club contact people at all the parks, and see what happens.

OR, if one park has, say, 6-12 people interested in installing Linux, do a
mini-installfest at that park.

Siri Amrit
--
Tigerflag Natural Perfumery, LLC