Re: Debian update errors

Author: der.hans
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Debian update errors
Am 04. Jan, 2006 schwätzte Victor Odhner so:

> I'm setting up a Debian system for a friend. I started with the full version
> of
> KANOTIX-2005-03 (I just missed the release of 04). This has gone very
> smoothly and I'm quite pleased with the results so far.
>
> I've run into two problems in trying to update the software, and since I
> have very little Debian experience I need some advice.
>
> When I did apt-get update, and again when I did apt-get install, I got
> warnings about indeces not found. Apparently some were found,
> and the upgrade downloaded something like 19 MB of stuff. The
> upgrade returned an error code (1). The full output is posted at
> <http://members.cox.net/vodhner/upgrade.log>.

Looks like there were probs getting the package lists.

Run apt-get update again as Patrick suggests. That might fix it.

You might also want to switch to .us based servers if your friend is here.

> My questions on this are: (a) should I configure something so that the
> missing files or repositories will be found? (b) did anything actually get
> installed or upgraded? (c) how do I complete or restart this update?

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

You might need apt-get -f install.

> Second problem was with a "klik" install of Firefox 1.5. It failed,

Dunno what that is.

ciao,

der.hans
#  Join the League of Professional System Administrators! https://LOPSA.org/
#  "The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and
#  write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn." -- Alvin Toffler