Re: installation and configuration problems

Author: Kenneth
To: joe, Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: installation and configuration problems
> #1. It says entering "vgahi" at boot will give ahigh resolution
> graphical installer, but that does not work. Instead, I just
> get an old low-res version in which one has to use a combination

Most likely the installer doesn't know how to deal with your video card.
This has been the case for most Linux distros I've tried, so I just use the
text version.

> After retrying several times, I finally determined
> that it is saying S3 - 86375 ViRGE/DX which I assume is the
> video card, but when I enter that during the install, it asks
> how much memory the video card
> has and I don't know. How can I determine that?

The drivers for some cards can probe the amount of memory. Is there a way to
leave this unset?

> #4. ...
> I find 1152x864 seems to be a good size for my 20" flat panel,
> but that is not an option on either Mepis or Xandros.

Never used either of those so I couldn't tell you about their config
utilities. You can always mess with the X config file and do it yourself if
you feel brave :)

> #5. How to get the hardware clock to display the right time?
> There is an install option displays two options to check or not
> check:
> -- Hardware clock set to GMT
> -- Automatic time synchronization (using NTP)
> What do these mean and which should I choose, if either?

Windows, IIRC, sets the hardward clock to local time. If you multi boot with
Windows it's simplest to set this to not be GMT. If you don't use Windows on
this machine, then I don't think it makes much difference as long as all
Linux distros are set the same way.

ntp is a protocal that allows your computer to get the time from time servers
on the internet periodically, to keep your machine's time accurate.

> #6. I installed everything from 3 cds for a desktop
> installation, but after installation, there is no 'kppp' so I
> can't connect to the 'net

Did you try using the supplied package installer or the "urpmi" command-line
tool to install kppp?

> and it can't find my printer which is connected and turned on
> and works with the installed Mepis and Xandros distros.

Can't help here, I've had so much trouble with printing from Linux I just
don't do it any more, I boot to Windows (I know, its admitting defeat, but I
have better things to do with my time).