Re: password history ability with pam?

Author: Dan Lund
To: Main PLUG discussion list
New-Topics: LDAP auth (was password history)
Subject: Re: password history ability with pam?
No, not using LDAP. (the actual Linux logons are isolated to
developers and admins) Until recently our LDAP solution was a bit....
buggy. We went with a company named Symas who sells a solution built
around OpenLDAP (essentially OpenLDAP with code optimizations and
off-the-shelf integration of Windows domain synchronization), and then
our coders snagged it and started adding their own hooks into the BDB
files when creating a GUI for helpdesk.
It's a complicated story, but basically I just kept an island unto
myself because of the flux of power-struggles. *shrugs* I don't do
politics, and you know how that is.
We've since replaced Symas LDAP with Active Directory. I've authed a
couple of machines against AD just to say "hey, yeah, it can be done,
look at xyz" but it's a convoluted process of kerberos and ldap
through pam.

I'm going to look into what Richard and TJ said. Thanks guys, I
appreciate it. Thanks for the URLs!

--Dan