quick-n-easy process timer

Author: Sean Dudley
To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: quick-n-easy process timer
We have a ghost in one of our red hat machines, it seems. Recently it
has been serving bmp files (samba) slowly at times. We can't seem to
predict when it will have one of it's 'episodes'. We were able to run
vmstat, top, etc to start diagnosing it during one of the incidents but
before we were able to get down and dirty the problem vanished.

One symptom of this is a hefty delay during command execution (top takes
twenty seconds or more to come up). Does anyone have a handy cron
script for checking execution time of a process so we can periodically
execute a light test process and shoot out a message if execution time
is longer than X seconds? I know this wouldn't exactly be challenging
to write but I thought I'd ask before re-inventing the wheel.

--

Sean Dudley
Systems Administrator