Re: DHCP vs Static inside Home network

Author: Darrin Chandler
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: DHCP vs Static inside Home network
Victor Odhner wrote:

> My router currently serves DHCP to our two computers.
>
> Now that I have Samba working, it still doesn't because the IPs
> changed on me.
>
> So: Is there any reason why I shouldn't ditch DHCP and assign static
> IPs to these boxes?
>
> The router uses DHCP for its Cox connection. That seems to be totally
> independent.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Vic

Yes, the dhcp address for your cable modem is a seperate issue.

You can indeed use static addresses, but if it's available in your
router I suggest using "reservations" in dhcp. None of your client
network setup needs to change (still dhcp), but you'll have fixed
addresses assigned by MAC or hostname. The benefit is that it's still
centrally managed.

--
Darrin Chandler

http://www.stilyagin.com/