Re: RHEL clone won't play MIDI on Analog Devices SoundMAX

Author: Matt Mets
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: RHEL clone won't play MIDI on Analog Devices SoundMAX
First: Does your soundcard work for playing non-MIDI music? Assuming
the answer is yes.

Do you use OSS or ALSA as your sound library? From what I understand
the ALSA one has much nicer interfaces for MIDI. I believe that
/dev/midi and /dev/sequencer are older, outdated interfaces, so their
omission might not be a big deal. CentOS probably made this decision
for you, but I dont know much about that distro. I would *guess* that
it isnt a hardware driver issue, but a software configuration one.

XMMS uses a series of plugins to decode media files, I dont believe
that it know how to play anything intrinsically. This means that if
you want to use XMMS to play the file, you will need is a plugin that
can decode MIDI files. It has been my experiance with XMMS that if
you attempt to add a file it doesnt recognise to the playlist, and if
it is the only file in the playlist then XMMS thinks it has an empty
playlist and opens a file dialog to allow you to select a file to
play. Counterintuitive, probably. If XMMS did understand the file it
was trying to play but was having trouble accessing the device, it
would probably pop up a dialog with an error, which leads me to
believe that you dont have a MIDI decoding plugin installed. In the
configuration/preferences menu, there should be a list of the input
plugins that are installed, check them to see if there is one that can
interpret MIDI files. There is a list of available input plugins at:

http://www.xmms.org/plugins.php?category=input

There is an interersting series of articles about Linux and MIDI you
might want to check out:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7773
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7912
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7918