Re: How to rename a long list of photo filenames?

Author: Kevin Brown
To: dsaxena, Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: How to rename a long list of photo filenames?
Deepak Saxena wrote:
> On Nov 08 2005, at 18:25, Josef Lowder was caught saying:
>
>>Also, I'd like to be able to globally make thumbnails of
>>each photo with the same name but with an added letter "t"
>>preceding the .jpg
>

> Install imagemagick.
>
> Thumbnails:
>
> for file in `ls *.jpg`
> do
>     thumbfile=`echo $file | sed s/.jpg/t.jpg`
>     convert --resize 320x240 $file $thumbfile
> done

Only problem with doing the 320x240 option is that you are assuming that
the full file is that same scale. Instead it might be better to just
fix one of the sizes and let the other be scaled to that. E.g. fix the
height at 320 OR the width at 240. This has the advantage of not
causing a skewing effect from the original image.