Re: "Legal" hackers

Author: stu
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: "Legal" hackers
On Friday 04 November 2005 09:26, wrote:
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20051103/tc_nf/39083
>
> Wonder if they are going to get the same penalties as say someone like
> kevin mitnick, or the guy who wrote the I love you virus.
> It's a sad state of affairs when a corporation like sony can do things
> like this and get away untouched or slap on the hand and some guy in his
> basement does the same thing and it ruins his and his families lives.
>

> -Scott

But wait, there's MORE!
It's my understanding that the "patch" offered by Sony to remove this DRM root
kit doesn't actually remove it, but renders it "inactive". IMHO, it's akin to
trusting the Credit Bureau to remove a bad rating from your record once
you've paid the bill in full - It just doesn't happen. Only with Windows do
you have to download MORE software you don't want to deal with the software
you DIDN'T want in the first place!
World Of Warcraft players have already found they can use this root kit to
hide their cheat codes from the Game Warden by adding "$sys$" to them. Can
the Trojan writers be far behind?
The good news at this point is that Linux and MacOS aren't affected by it....
yet...