Re: top posting is better

Author: Dan Lund
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: top posting is better
I'd have to say THAT type of inline commenting is the best.
When you have visual indicators, the breakup of conversation is so
much more fluid.

--Dan

On 10/26/05, Craig White <> wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 11:44 -0700, Alex Dean wrote:
> > The only thing that annoys me is when people mix both top and bottom
> > posting in the same thread. Have to figure out who's responding to
> > what in a message containing both top and bottom replies is really
> > confusing. Scroll up to read one reply, scroll back down to read the
> > next reply, etc...
> ----
> sorry to annoy you but in line comments are probably the most targeted
> and direct way to respond
> ----
> >
> > I don't really mind either top or bottom as long as its consistent on
> > a per-message/thread basis.
> ----
> consistency is relative. The issues of trimming, relevancy and making
> sense of the flow of the communications seems more important. Most of
> the people who top post have no consideration for the the issues of
> trimming and relevancy, they only seek to have their own words heard
> without context - sort of saying...listen to my thoughts and if you need
> the context, read on or look to previous messages in the thread.
>
> Craig
>

> --
> believed to be clean.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so
many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled -
because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too
cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are
called patience and forbearance.
Friedrich Nietzsche