Running a shell command for a specific period of time

+ (text/html)
Author: Erik Bixby
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Running a shell command for a specific period of time
I was wondering if anyone knew a way to allow a shell command to run for a
specific period of time. In this particular case, I want tcpdump to run for
23 hours, 59 minutes, 59 seconds. I couldn't find anything in the tcpdump
man page that gave me the impression that tcpdump itself has that
functionality. And, I couldn't find anything in a quick google search. I
also thought it was an interesting scripting trick that I don't know, and
thought I'd ask you nice folks...
-Erik